I've been working this school year to figure out what I wanted out of life, what would make me happy, and opening up my life to new opportunities -whatever and wherever those might be. And boy did I find some!
DUBAIAbout a month ago, scared, uncertain, and wondering if I really had what it would take, I headed to San Francisco to the Search Associates International Teaching Job Fair. Colleagues knew and had been writing reference letters for me for months, I had put my entire life and career info out there for recruiters, and I had researched schools all over the world. My friend, Jason B. had taken on the adventure a few years earlier, worked in Quito, Ecuador, and is currently in Buenos Aires. He has been my rock in all this giving me the inside scoop and supporting me with kind words and a boatload of information!
I was extremely lucky that one of my best friend in the world lives in SF and let me stay with her. Besides enjoying great girl-time and amazing food, she's extremely supportive of my life-change and gave me that extra bit of confidence when a little doubt would creep in.
The job fair was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had in my career. Even if I hadn't found a job, the knowledge I gained about schools around the world was more than I've learned in ten years in Gwinnett. I interviewed with schools in Taiwan, Korea, Trinidad, Columbia, Jordan, and learned about countless others. And in the end I accepted an amazing job in Dubai.
Next year I will be teaching at the American School of Dubai. It's literally an American School - similar curriculum that I am used to - just smaller - which is awesome! We will be moving into a new campus next year and the classrooms should be wired with amazing technology. The superintendent that I interviewed with made me feel so comfortable and right at home immediately and I am so excited to be working for him!
The funny thing is - I had NO idea where Dubai even was when I showed up that first day. It wasn't one of the schools that had even been on my radar at the beginning. But the more I learned, the more I loved the idea. The job is a huge step for my career, everyone I've spoken to speaks highly of the school and the area, and the possibilities that could come from this seem endless.So I'll be flying out of the US August 18th, arriving the 19th there and building a little life there. The school year won't begin for a couple weeks after our arrival so I will have some time to settle in, get the classroom ready, and make new friends first.
BASEBALL
Upon my return from San Francisco with my new job, baseball was awaiting me. And it's been great. The boys are 4-1 as of today and we've got home games every day this next week between all three teams showing me once again that life doesn't stop for anyone. I so enjoy the games and the kids and the experience. Pre-season no one was giving this year's team any credit, giving us the chance to really relax and have fun on the field. And so far, that's equaled some really amazing games and hard-earned wins.
http://norcrossbluedevils.org/
BASKETBALL
After a decade of coaching basketball, I decided this year to take a year off. It was a personal decision, and certainly not an easy decision, yet one that I still needed to make for myself. I was able to finally enjoy the holidays with my family, enjoy my friendships here in Atlanta and around the country when I had the time to vacation and visit friends, and really relax and get my life back on track. For the longest time, I just lived in the moment and just kept feeling that I was constantly just keeping up with everything - never really having the chance to think too far ahead and look at other possibilities. But I gave myself that break, opened up myself to chances, and decided to take them.
Last night, my former team won the AAAAA Girls State Championship Basketball Championship. I was full of such mixed emotions. I knew what I was stepping away from when I took my break. But actually watching it unfold before my eyes was harder than I thought. Regardless, I made the decision, I haven't regretted it once, and I reminded myself of that. I couldn't be happier for the girls and the coaching staff for their win. They sacrifice so much and work so much harder than most people actually realize and I am proud of their accomplishment.
FUTURE
So now I'm making the best of my whirlwind life, enjoying my friends before I leave, laughing more with the kids in the classroom, and smiling a lot more. I am so very lucky for the life I've been blessed with, the friends who have supported me no matter what situations I've found myself in, and a supportive family that is genuinely happy for me. In the past month, as fate would have it, I've gotten to really spend time with a couple of my oldest friends in the world, caught up with another who I hadn't seen in 15 years or more, and made a new friend who really leaves a smile on my face when he's around. It's hard not to question life and God's plan for you, and I've really learned that if you just sit back, pray about it, and let life happen, most of the time it's a lot better than anything you could have planned out yourself. So I'm along for the ride and I can't wait to tell you all about it!
BASKETBALL
After a decade of coaching basketball, I decided this year to take a year off. It was a personal decision, and certainly not an easy decision, yet one that I still needed to make for myself. I was able to finally enjoy the holidays with my family, enjoy my friendships here in Atlanta and around the country when I had the time to vacation and visit friends, and really relax and get my life back on track. For the longest time, I just lived in the moment and just kept feeling that I was constantly just keeping up with everything - never really having the chance to think too far ahead and look at other possibilities. But I gave myself that break, opened up myself to chances, and decided to take them.
Last night, my former team won the AAAAA Girls State Championship Basketball Championship. I was full of such mixed emotions. I knew what I was stepping away from when I took my break. But actually watching it unfold before my eyes was harder than I thought. Regardless, I made the decision, I haven't regretted it once, and I reminded myself of that. I couldn't be happier for the girls and the coaching staff for their win. They sacrifice so much and work so much harder than most people actually realize and I am proud of their accomplishment.
FUTURE
So now I'm making the best of my whirlwind life, enjoying my friends before I leave, laughing more with the kids in the classroom, and smiling a lot more. I am so very lucky for the life I've been blessed with, the friends who have supported me no matter what situations I've found myself in, and a supportive family that is genuinely happy for me. In the past month, as fate would have it, I've gotten to really spend time with a couple of my oldest friends in the world, caught up with another who I hadn't seen in 15 years or more, and made a new friend who really leaves a smile on my face when he's around. It's hard not to question life and God's plan for you, and I've really learned that if you just sit back, pray about it, and let life happen, most of the time it's a lot better than anything you could have planned out yourself. So I'm along for the ride and I can't wait to tell you all about it!


No comments:
Post a Comment