Countdown

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Happy Valentines Day Baby!

Just minutes after I was born
Saturday, February 12, I started having contractions . . . five hours later they stopped.  Sunday morning around 5am they began again and they just kept on coming.  16 hours later, we were still at home and I had had more contractions than I could count - they just weren't close enough to warrant going to the hospital.  Finally, they started coming about 6 minutes apart so we called the doctor's office, loaded up the car, and headed down to Northside.  It got kind of scary in the car as we knew our drive was going to be around 45 minutes and the contractions hit about 3 minutes apart.  But the good news was that it was  Sunday night in the city and there was no traffic to be seen. 
We were starving after all that work!

On the way to the hospital, we called the families and the SC crew headed towards Georgia.  Once we got our room, I endured stronger and longer contractions from about 10:30pm until 6am when I just couldn't take it any more and got my epidural.  Philip was amazing and probably showed his strongest dedication to staying in there with me as I got the epidural. He got a little woozie and ran to the bathroom to splash water on his face.  When he came out, in between tears, I sent him out to the waiting room to get my cousin Nikki and he was more than glad to go, poor guy.

The epidural, although not a pleasure to receive - especially when they tell you that your spine is tight and it takes three pokes to get the tube in, was AMAZING once it was complete.  At this point I was already completely exhausted from being up for almost 24 hours so the rest the epidural gave me was much needed.  Philip got about an hours sleep and I rested a little.  The doc came by and introduced us to the midwives that would get the labor started.  Little did we know that they were so awesome that we wouldn't even need to call the doc!
My coming home outfit

Once I started pushing, I don't remember too much.  I know that it wasn't like the birthing hospital scenes they play out on tv.  I don't know if it's because of the amazing nurses and midwives I had in there with me or what, but it was probably the most comfortable labor process I could've ever imagined.  I pushed an
hour - with my eyes closed the entire time.  Philip and Nikki watched most of it and Philip did so much
better that either of us probably thought.  And at 10:54 am - 29 1/2 hours after my first contractions began and after being in the hospital for around 12 hours, Lucas Albert Chittaro was born!  He weighed 7 pounds, 7 ounces and was 21 inches long.  And we were all surprised at how very calm he was.  He didn't cry!  He just chilled out and looked around at everything.

My first doctor visit - 4 days old.

When they placed him on my chest, the first thing I noticed and said was that he had my pug nose - I don't know how to describe to people what that felt like - to finally have someone who looked like me.  Being adopted, I notice how families share physical characteristics and always wondered what I may have gotten from my birth parents - it was nice to see something on little Lucas that was mine :)

The nights at the hospital weren't too bad - Philip and I learned first hand what complete exhaustion felt like.  We had many family and friends come visit the little guy.  But we were really happy to get home.
He's 10 days old now and after having Aunt Lynn and my mom stay with us to help us catch up on sleep at night, we were on our own finally Sunday night.  And surprise - we made it :)  He's sleeping well most of the night - only waking when he's hungry or wet.  So far he doesn't cry just to cry.  He's a really good baby.

One proud Daddy
I am so thankful for so much.  For my amazing husband who loves the two of us so much - and doesn't hesitate to tell us and show us.  For our families who supported us and fed us and love us.  For friends and their kind words and excitement for our newest addition.  And mostly for this beautiful little boy who is the best thing I've ever done in my life.  No class, no game, no championship, no trip, no adventure - nothing compares to the joy and pride I have in making this beautiful little baby and I thank God every day for giving us this blessing.

I don't think that in all the months we were prepping for baby that I considered having a Valentines Day baby, but I think it's pretty cool.  He was made from love so it's only fitting that he be born on the day celebrating that.  Happy Valentine's Birthday, sweet baby.

2 comments:

  1. So sweet Jenn! I'm so happy for you. Wish I had talked to you earlier...I would have convinced you to have that epidural asap. While they do hurt to get, I think they are the best.thing.ever.invented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so now that I have tears in my eyes...I just want to say (again) how very happy I am for you and Philip both. Lucas is so cute and I know words cannot begin to express the love you feel for him! :0)

    ReplyDelete